I’ve been (slowly) pouring a cement floor into the house with a dirt basement (Basement post, Flooring install). I’ve now literally hit rock bottom. You see, the basement in the house is typical of old homes – damp, musty and wet when it rains, so I wanted to add a sump pump. I knew the basement was rocky as I had tried to dig out some flooring supports and kept hitting rock.
My plan was to remove the old, now abandoned sewer lines and put the sump pump in a hole dug under the old pipe. First I removed the pipe – Grind through it with my grinder (noisy and dusty), remove the pipe and dig the hole.
Next, I dug and dug and dug and cleaned the hole out.
Tried as I might, I realized I had hit rock bottom.
So I enlarged the hole and test fit the sump basin. The basin is sitting a little high, but I’ll drill holes in the walls to allow water in which the pump can then push out.
I then had to place a $25 test plug in the old sewer line just in case there was a sewer backup, I didn’t want the basement flooding. Nothing like spending $25 so I can bury it under cement.
I then drilled a hole into the side of the basin and placed a 2″ PVC pipe to allow for sub-slab water to find it’s way to the basin. I placed stones, sand and gravel around the sump pit to allow water to flow into the basin.
I jury rigged some forms around the slab to hold the concrete in place and filled the massive hole with gravel and large stones.
Next I mixed concrete (this is from a previous pad in the same basement):
My back is screaming at me again, but here’s the finished product: