Flip update

Tired on Sunday

Hey everyone.  Sorry I’ve been quite absent this past week, it’s been a LONG week for me.  To start things off, my wife (and daughter) were out of town, assisting my mother-in-law for the week.  Then, my immune system decided to take a vacation.  It got rough enough that I even took a sick day from work (I think I’ve only taken three in 9 years of work).

We were insulating a house at work this week (not a bad week to be sick), but the insulation job was SLOOOOWW.  What should have taken about two days to complete took a little over five days (I say ‘a little over’, because we are going back on Monday).  Rather than be a simple retrofit insulation job where we drill a hole in a wall, insert a 1.25″ tube and fill with insulation, we encountered 1.5″ of stucco over 1.5″ of wood lath.  We had to rent a dry-core drill bit and rent an SD-Max drill.  You may have no clue what I’m talking about, and honestly, neither did I until Monday when we rented the drill and dry-core bit.  The dry-core bit is a drill bit made for going through cement.  The bit is about 18″ long, has about six teeth at the end and a funky spiral pattern on the side.  The bit costs $180 (that’s not a typo).

The drill the bit fits on is a hammer drill.  Picture a mini-jackhammer.  This drill was about 30lbs without the drill bit (another 2lbs or so).  You may say “32lbs??? What, are these construction guys wimps?”  Well, we had to do the drilling while standing on a 16′ extension ladder.  Needless to say, our center of gravity was off to begin with, then to we decided to throw it a further 32lbs out of whack.

No one got hurt, it was just a LONG week at work.

Then I had to manage our house flip.  In an awesome twist of fate, my day job’s insulation job (with the mini-jackhammer) was literally located in the backyard of my house flip.  At lunch, I walked 50′ into the backdoor of my flip to meet with the contractor and answer questions (if any) or simply see what he was up to during the previous day.

On Monday, I saw the following situation:

Yes, a bunch of seemingly random studs, some acrylic shower/tub liners and red/blue PEX pipe.  However, even when I saw this, the contractor kept telling me “April 1, we’ll be finished inside and working on the roof.”  I kept thinking “yeah….right.  You and some special army will finish this work.”

Well, my contractor called in Seal Team 6 to get the work finished.  I’m not sure how he did it, but he did.  These pictures were taken on Sunday:

Somehow the dude pulled out all the stops and got both bathrooms (and the kitchen) to the point of painting by Saturday.

I’m B-L-O-W-N–A-W-A-Y with the effort he put into it.  On Saturday, I again asked him if we were over or under budget.  He conferred with his partner and they both agreed that they are still under budget (not exactly sure how).  We’ll be meeting on Friday to discuss budget and see how over/under we really are.  I’m hoping I’m not swimming naked with the tide going out…

Anyway, last week was long for me…this upcoming week will be long for me.  I’ve got a full week of work and have to get the house painted with my partner (and if there’s time, get the kitchen flooring installed).  Our investors are coming on on Saturday to see the progress, so I need to get a bunch completed by then.

As tired as I am currently (as in: right at this moment), my investors have told me that they are ready to buy the next house to flip (I keep telling them to sell the first one!).  I may be beat right now, but it certainly feels great to have investors who are willing to take on project #2.  (Deep down, it makes me wonder: could I get paid to work the flips (as a day job) as well as maintain ownership of the project (splitting the profits)…the thoughts are in the back of my head…)

1 Thought.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *